The Wines

Now that the farming side of this project is well-established, it was decided in 2013 to move on to the next stage. Traditionally, all the grapes from the farm were sold to premium wine producers throughout the Stellenbosch region. With the arrival of Augustus Dale in 2012, we decided to create our own brand and produce two wines from selected parcels of vineyards situated on the farm; thus, Paul Roos Wine was born!

Educated in the world-renowned town of Beaune (Burgundy, France), Gus brings with him the benefits associated with traditional, Old World, viticultural and wine-making practices, which he has incorporated into a more modern, New World approach. The results are these two stunning wines;

2015 - Die Skoolhoof (White)

An elegant co-fermentation of 80% Chenin Blanc and 20% Chardonnay.
Naturally fermented in 20% new French Oak, gives a layered minerality and finesse.
Offers a long, mouthwatering finish.
Floral and Fresh.

Platters 2017

2015 - Die Filantroop (Red)

A beautifully structured wine blending 69% Shiraz and equal parts of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Pinotage as the building blocks.
Supple (though firm) tannin's, harmoniously integrated with mouth-filling red forest fruits and mild pepper.
All naturally fermented in 600L French Oak.
Approachable now though built to last!

Platters 2017

The Wine Library

Vintage Product Blend Description Awards Product Availability Tasting Note
2014 Die Skoolhoof White Die Skoolhoof Platters Award Tim Atkin Award Pending Requests
- Enquire here -
Fresh, Floral, fruity nose and palate. Elegant and mineral with a long, dry finish. Perfect for immediate consumption and over the next two years. 2,300 bottles produced.
2014 Die Filantroop Red Die Filantroop Platters Award Pending Requests
- Enquire here -
A serious wine offering dark berry flavours and depth of colour. Multi-layered and complex mid-palate with well balanced, earthy tannins. A wine to be cellared and enjoyed over the next +5 years. 2,200 bottles produced. N.B. If one wishes to drink it young, we recommend decanting at least an hour prior to consumption!

Both wines were fermented using only Natural Yeasts (indigenous to the vineyards), in French oak barrels. Minimal intervention is key to our philosophy of wine making, resulting in wines that are more expressive of their true identity. The flavours, colour, aromas, textures and freshness are all a result of the immense care and attention adhered to them in the vines and the cellar. Here, we believe two strict principles apply:

Vineyards: Great wine is made in the vineyards, not in the cellar.

Cellar: Less is more. Less intervention equals more quality.

There is an old saying that backs this up;
“You can make a bad wine from good grapes, but you cannot make a good wine from bad grapes”.

According to Gus, 90% of his job involves working meticulously in the vines. The remaining 10% of the time is spent ‘Baby-sitting” the wines in the cellar.

“There is no one-single factor that makes a difference in the quality of the grapes; it is an entire myriad of tiny details that result in healthy, happy vineyards. Grape production is not just about the season you are engaged upon, more importantly, it is all about the vitality and longevity of the vine over a period of a life-time. Every season is different; some years are hotter than others, maybe there is a wetter year or a drought, extreme winds or hail. The vine reacts to these parameters and one has to adjust accordingly. Furthermore, different varietals react differently to these variables and the types of soil they live in.

Likewise, in the cellar, one has to listen to, watch and taste the fermentation's on a daily basis to make sure the resulting wine is the best it can be. Naturally fermented wines are more at risk during this process and it is for this reason that many “wine-makers” prefer to inoculate ferments using yeasts from a packet. Die Skoolhoof, for example, naturally fermented for over 50 days and you could barely witness the sugars converting to alcohol!?! It was suggested by a number of peers that we should intervene to avoid spoilage but we stood firm in our convictions and were rewarded with a seriously elegant and complex wine”.

As with all things in life, it is all about balance and harmony. Follow your heart and the rest will follow…..